Sunday, March 8, 2015

Purpose Statement & Design Plan

Purpose Statement
Purpose:  I want to analyze posters of the movie Jaws 2 and show how the posters made to advertise the movie are attractive and how in all of the posters the shark is ginormous showing that people will have no power against the shark if they were to be attacked.  In general the ocean has an advantage, as there are things at the bottom that could kill us at any moment.  The ocean is huge and we are tiny speckles at the surface.  If people really look at an advertisement, they will see that there is more to it than pictures and text.  The posters basically tell a summary of the movie.  If you are picking the pieces apart and asking why this is here or there and understand then you realize why the creator of the advertisement did what they did.
Audience:  My audience would be those people that love seeing horror movies or who have interests in life under the water in the ocean.  I dislike horror movies but I have an interest in sharks and that is why I love watching Jaws.  My audience will also include my professor as well as my classmates and peers.
Context:  The communication will take place in class the day that the assignment is due.  The communication will take place in the classroom in front of my classmates and professor.  I will also be posting my paper on my blog for others to see.  Time matters because I want people to see and read my paper before they go and see the Jaws 2 movie.  Place matters in that I want my paper to be placed either in a movie theater or in a store that sells or rents movies because I want people to see my paper and read it to understand how to analyze a poster in a useful way as well as hopefully help them decide if they’d like to see it or not.   

Design Plan
Strategies
Ethos: Jeannot Szwarc who was the director for Jaws 2 has lots of credibility.  He directed many movies but his most famous movies were Somewhere in Time, and Supergirl.  In 1981 he won a Critics award at the Avoriaz Fantastic Film Festival for his movie Somewhere in Time.  As well in 1981 he won a Best Film award at the Fantafestival for his movie Somewhere in Time.  In 2008 he was nominated for the Best Dramatic Presentation – Long Form at the Hugo Awards for the television series Heroes.
Pathos:  I think that the posters as well as the director got great emotion out of people.  The posters may make people feel scared but also excited.
Logos:  I think that the author’s argument for these posters is that sharks are superior to humans and basically if we encounter a shark we are done.  Some people say if you hit a shark in the nose when they attack you that they will let go.  Who would think of hitting the shark in the nose when the person thinks they are about to get dragged down to the bottom of the ocean?  The author makes a good argument because some may say you can get out of a shark attack and some may think if that ever happens you’re dead.  From the way the posters are made, shows how the sharks are huge and therefor more powerful than us humans.
Medium:  I am going to be using four posters that were used to advertise the movie for an academic paper.  I will analyze them and show how the posters can be used as an insight to the movie or summary of the movie.
Arrangement:  In my essay I want to arrange the four posters so that they are in the middle of my essay and so that the text is going around the outside of the posters.  I feel that it would give more focus to the posters I am analyzing.  Of course I am only going to put the poster I am analyzing in the center.  I think I will keep each poster on a separate page so that the audience knows which poster I am talking about specifically and so they can refer to the picture in the middle of the page easily while reading my analysis.
Testing:  I will bring my essay draft on analyzing the posters to class and get feedback on what my classmates think my purpose was and fix it to make it a way for my audience to understand clearly.


The visual is the predominant focus, there is text but to me the visual is predominant.

The text and the visual complement each other in a way that the author put the title, Jaws 2, in red maybe to depict blood and horror to his audience.  Sharks + humans = blood

The visual adds a lot of information that the text does not.  If it were just the text, the poster wouldn’t make much sense.  The visual explains what the movie is going to be about.  Also the other way around, the visual needs the text as well.

The visual deepens the understanding of the text in that the text on the page makes the audience wonder what is going to happen next and can assume it is going to be a shark attack with the picture and the text together.

The visual is placed in the middle near the top or it covers the whole entire page.

The audience would have to assume what is going to happen and picture it themselves if there were to be no visual.

No comments:

Post a Comment